If you are the kind of person that believes that international development means well, but is in serious need of disruptive innovation to create real change in the world, and you think you have the ideas to make that happen, this might be the vocation you’ve been looking for.
Position: Human-Centered Design Creative Lead
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Deadline: 15th February 2019
Desired start date: As early as possible
Hi, We’re 17 Triggers
We’re a behavior change lab working around the world to help bring creative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. We believe that practical, creative ideas can make the world a better place, whether it’s triggering Cambodian farmers to triple their crop yields, Zambian children to finish school, or rural Haitians to buy solar lights and cookstoves.
Our approach takes the best of creative problem solving—tapping into design thinking, user experience (UX), and participatory research methods—to develop and test sustainable solutions to behavior change.
We’ve worked in nearly 20 different countries, on over 150 projects, related to health, sanitation, clean water, education, agriculture/food security, financial inclusion, digital financial services, women’s empowerment, climate change, family planning, safe migration, child marriage, and more. Past clients include UNICEF, UNCDF, SNV Netherlands, Bill Melinda Gates Foundation, DAI, iDE, 1001 Fontaines, People in Need (PIN), Plan International, Friends-International, Lucky Iron Fish, Population Services International (PSI), Save The Children, Metlife Foundation, John Stone Family Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, and MTV EXIT.
We are looking for a Human Centered Design (HCD) Creative Lead to be based at our head office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. If you are burning to use your creative problem solving skills to make a difference in the world, we want to chat with you.
The job at a glance
As the HCD Creative Lead, you will drive the creation of user-centered solutions for a variety of communication and behavior change challenges. The HCD Creative Lead role is a hybrid role of user-research and design acumen. You must demonstrate proficiency in both aspects for this position.
The HCD Creative Lead will co-lead projects with HCD Research Leads. You will work closely together to ensure project success. You will focus on both strategic and tactical aspects of the project, attending to the day-to-day delivery while keeping sight of the overall project objectives. You will iterate on solutions, informed by user research, to deliver exceptional solutions to meet the needs of users.
In short, you are a strategic thinker that can conceive, draw, and build out ideas.
- - Work with Research Lead to review background research, uncover gaps, and develop strategic approach for research
- - Assist in field plan development, including selecting proven insights research methods and tools and creating new methods to achieve research objectives
- - Facilitate in-field focus-group discussions, one-on-one interviews and other participatory research methods
- - Work with Research Lead to distill user-research learnings into actionable key insights
- - Design and develop client presentations beyond powerpoint; make it an experience
- - Document project process through photos and videos to be used for case-studies and learning products
Ideation and Prototype development
- - Translate research findings into effective, user-centered experiences through low fidelity prototypes
- - Test and validate ideas with users, and be able to quickly pivot and iterate prototypes as you learn
- - Demonstrated ability to document creative process and rationalize decisions based on actual findings
- - Work with Strategy Director, Creative Director, and Research Lead to develop brand, marketing, and/or communications strategy
- - Demonstrated ability to make sound rationalizations for strategic recommendations
Creative Design and Execution
- - Design prototypes, at mid-level fidelity, to effectively communicate concepts to users and clients
- - Design and build final art for production, this will include, but is not limited to, print layouts, packaging, advertisements, and storyboards
- - Design solutions that meet measurable business goals and requirements
Oversight of Production
- - Collaborate with Head of Production to ensure suppliers have all necessary information (specs, quantity, etc.)
- - Delegate and oversee execution of other designers or suppliers, including Directors, Art Directors, Graphic Designers, Photographers, Illustrators and Developers
This is what it takes
These are the necessary attributes for this role:
- User-Centered Design – You have experience in qualitative, participatory research, persona development, customer journey mapping, and or visualizing other user-experience flows. And you have a tool box of proven methods to select interventions. You’ll also need grit; the ability to bounce back, adjust and adapt. This means you’re willing to be in the field, immersing yourself in local context, and rolling with the punches as they come.
- Facilitation – You have experience in leading workshops with participants at different learning, and ability levels (from front-line staff to Sr. Managers), while managing the time like a referee. You know how to create an inclusive experience and effectively engage participants.
- Creative and Design Abilities – You are proficient in strategic concept development, and have experience with a variety of convergent and divergent thinking methods. You have a strong understanding of Design principles and their application to human behaviour, the ability to draw/visualize, and experience doing rapid prototypes/mockups. You are fluent in Adobe Creative Suite, proficient in graphic design, and have strong understanding of photography, video, animation and web/mobile design principles.
- People Skills – You have excellent interpersonal skills, an empathetic disposition and are sensitive to cultural differences. You are responsible, flexible, collaborative, optimistic, and inherently curious about human behaviour.
- Brand and Marketing Acumen – You have knowledge of marketing, brand and advertising fundamentals, and have demonstrated the ability to think of concepts holistically through a variety of media platforms.
- Great Communication Skills – You’re a professional. This means you are composed but not a robot. You can communicate effectively with staff and clients, and are adept at presenting and selling ideas in front of clients and stakeholders.
Here’s what we require
Regardless if your core specialty is visual design, interaction design, service, or product design, you must be comfortable diving into the user-experience, the local context/ecosystem, and applying behaviour change principles to ensure that research and proven techniques inform your designed solutions.
The HCD Creative Lead will also have the know-how to execute, and/or oversee the final execution of designed solutions. Whether it’s a sales tool for a front-line staff or a TVC, your attention to detail should be exceptional, and your standards for quality high.
Here is what we are looking for
- - A formal education in Design (Visual/Graphic, Interaction, Product, Industrial, Service, etc.) A Masters Degree would be considered a plus.
- - Minimum 7 years experience in firms such as Design firms, Advertising / Marketing agencies, Consultancy, or in-house innovation lab for multinational firm
- - Minimum 7 years experience solving user problems – experience in South-East Asia would be an asset
- - 1-2 years experience working with low-income or vulnerable populations
- - Proficiency in Graphic Design
- - Proficiency in English, both written and verbal
- - Willingness to travel—regionally and internationally—approx 50-70% of the time. If you think of yourself as a global nomad, perfect.
Bonus! Tell us if:
- - You speak and/or write a second (particularly Asian) language
- - You have understanding of digital UX and global web platforms
Salary? Benefits? Yep, we got them too.
You will be part of an enthusiastic, multidisciplinary team of people from all over the world. Besides the chance to contribute towards strengthening the impact of good causes, we offer some practical benefits as well. While we won’t be able to offer a package that is anywhere near London or New York rates, we can offer you a very comfortable life with us here in Phnom Penh. Our offer starts with:
- - Competitive Salary in Cambodia
- - Health Insurance
- - 18 Annual leave days and 20 Public Holidays
- - Flight to Cambodia, incl. up to $250 extra luggage
Want to apply?
Send us the following by 15th February 2019 at 6 PM ICT to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- - Write ‘I am your next HCD Creative Lead’ in the subject line
- - Your Resume
- - A link to your portfolio or website
- - Your answer to the Creative Challenge [LINK HERE].
We are looking for someone who can start as early as March 1st, but negotiable for the right person.